Welcome hotshot owner-operators, there is plenty of room on the road and to live the dream in this business! We provided a list that you do not want to leave your route run without. This equipment list will is a roadside troubling kit for the novice to the most experienced hotshot driver. We respect your hustle and your grind😅 Read the list and most importantly invest in the equipment shippers, brokers, safety guidelines required for you to succeed on your journey to success.
Here’s a basic check-list of some things you will need to consider to be safe and secure the loads on the road.
- https://amzn.to/35MoYux 60-gal aluminum construction fuel tank: fuel line DOT approved. When gas or diesel run out of your truck tank, a gravity feel will transport the diesel or gasoline so you want to have too. also, measure your truck bed width and those of the tank. Clearance can be tight and hard to get to. The brackets on the tank bottom sides are the key. Aluminum fuel tanks do not rust and are built to last check out reasonable prices on Amazon and they have real-world reviews that can assist you before you invest in a new set of quality truck tires.
Securement equipment: Mandatory (10) 2-inch traps with (WILL label on it) or Working Load Limit of 3500 Ibs (10) of them with the ratchet and J hooks as a set will position you to carry loads over 10,000 pounds
- https://amzn.to/35KxwlQ Edge protectors: for your traps, protect against sharp objects or objects that have uneven or jagged edges on the trailers. Edge protectors can be used for Vee Boards – Load Protectors – Pallet Edge Protector above all they come in 12 packs and will prevent damage and wear while hauling loads.
- https://amzn.to/3mxae9O Tarps: (2) 30ft Heavy-duty poly tarps: are made to last longer. industrial vinyl tarps are poly tarps coated with vinyl. They are strong and resist tearing for hauling freight of all sizes.
- https://amzn.to/3kG0ae7 Traps: (10) 2-inch & (10) 4-inch traps for extra parcels.
- https://amzn.to/3mFT0Hv Lumber 4×4’s: (10) some shippers do not supply 4×4 boards to get out of their area, investing in some boards will serve as a buffer and save you the trip to home depot this trip to Wal-Mart…
- https://amzn.to/37UpDgi Blankets: (10-12) will keep your tarps ripping from weather changes and most common sharp objects loaded on a trailer; without blankets, your tarps won’t last a full month.
- https://amzn.to/34Dcc2c A toolbox: To fix oil changes, tires flat, & lug nut opener for those supper stiff nuts & bolts.
“ Staying safe behind the wheel of a big rig involves keeping up with the truck’s maintenance, getting plenty of rest, and being aware of your surroundings.”
- https://amzn.to/3mDexk3 Lug Nut Extender: For wheels & tires, 18 inches or more provides twice the torque and less manpower.
- https://amzn.to/35M8uCL Broom & Dustpan: to sweep gravel, dust, snow off your trailer due to weather conditions and construction site debris.
- https://amzn.to/3eagK3e Chains ⛓ & Binders: (4-8) are excellent for securing tractors and heavy equipment in the flatbed business. Ratchet binders will add tension to your chains; A lever binder tightens and properly secures the load. Grade 70 chains provide a higher safe working load than lower grade chains but weigh the same.
- https://amzn.to/3mB6nZe Safety Vest: The best ones have pockets for your business cards, pens, and zippers; It is important to stay visible day & night.
- https://amzn.to/3e7lRRG Hard Hat: 30% required by shipyards. 90% of them are shippers as well. The best hardhat has features removable sweatband and breathable top padding, sweat-wicking, odor-resistant, machine washable materials, and all-day comfort.
- https://amzn.to/34FPDKs Bungees & Hooks: 2 packs of 50, they break occasionally so secure your traps with 100 of them.
- Impact-driver: https://amzn.to/31XqUiZ They are lightweight, higher-powered, with grips that handle stubborn screw heads. An impact-driver saves you time from tire blowouts and flats. A customer’s yard can be the cause of flats due to loose nails & screws on the ground. Also, a good Jack will save you 2 hours if you had to go to a truck repair shop.
- https://amzn.to/2HMRXq1 Work gloves: Insulated work gloves are perfect for your daily use. Keep hands 100% protected from ruff edges, extreme weather conditions, touching dirty objects, cold water, and covid-19.
- https://amzn.to/3oCnU5b Fire Extinguisher: A Requirement and a must stay inside your truck at all times. Get the vehicle bracket for a few dollars more.
- https://amzn.to/2HPMWxd Safety glasses: Most popular are the polarized safety glasses that feature a sporty, flexible, lightweight design for those long trips.
- Official FMCSA: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety
- https://amzn.to/34FDjd1 3 In 1 Tape measure: A handy lefty or right-handed tool to measure your trailer space to maximize your exact space on your flatbed. Laser Tape Measure Cross laser line 3 In 1, Laser Measure 131ft/40m, Measuring Tape 16ft/5m, Cross Line 32ft/10m, Digital Laser Distance Meter For Measuring Area/Volume/Pythagorean.
- https://amzn.to/37QI1GU Rubber hammer: Reduce shock, check flats due to occasional roads and yards debris.
- Tire Repair Tools: https://amzn.to/32cs0HR Rubber Prep/Removal, Tire Spreader, Dunk Tanks, Tire Inspection Tools. Shop Vacuum, Extruder, Tire Plug Gun, Tread Depth Gauge.
- Pressure gage: https://amzn.to/34FWWll The 18-inch pressure gages or Digital Tire Pressure Gauge 150 PSI with backlight provide the best usage. Do not waste money on smaller ones.
- Steel toe boots: https://amzn.to/2Jnx6dL For working purposes, loading, and unloading.
- Towing Chains: https://amzn.to/3kK89qG ¾” or ⅜ high-quality Grade 70 hooks that provide high strength suitable for a variety of demanding tow jobs for DOT standards.
- https://amzn.to/32ctthl Flash Light: Integral hook for hands-free use in multiple placements for dark spaces and night time. 11 – 25 hours of run-time depending on battery amp hour.
- Pickup Truck Tires: https://amzn.to/31XMF21 An extra set will of All-terrain, any-weather rugged capability tires can go a long way; remember someone in Canada will want ice tires with a max weight of 2,469 for max loads, driving over rocks and up hills.
- A Cool Folding chair and a small table: https://amzn.to/35Jbm3u Locate a good place to stop and get some R & R… before heading home or to your next hotshot…
Smart ways to shop for equipment: Do a Google search or Amazon Search: By Clicking the shopping tab at the top of the Google page you can compare prices of products for your truck & trailer.
- Review equipment & features…
- Check customer reviews…
- Select your price…
- Get your gear ship to you and save on diesel costs…
Please Note: We provide Amazon links for your review. Also, this is not a complete list; your business and each state have their specific requirements. By contributing to this list, it will help the drivers on the road, send me an email with your recommendations.